quinta-feira, outubro 13, 2005

American Beauty

"American Beauty". Off the top of your head, can you think of another movie, as unpretentious as this one, that portrays life so... well... beautifully? Here I am, watching it again for the fifth or sixth time, and yet again it instills in me some strange feeling of spiritual paradise lost.
Forget the spectacular photography. Forget the impressive acting of Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Chris Cooper and company. Look past the fantastic dialogue, the latent comedy, the simplicity of the entire thing! Few movies have made me think as much as this one. So, here´s my question:
Is it possible to abdicate so completely from life´s responsibilities and its routine - to clean the slate, so to speak - or is it all fun and games 'till somebody gets hurt?
And another thing: Is this the right recipe of life for everyone?
I guess if I were to give a preliminary answer to my own question, without spending the necessary lifetime to think about it, it would most likely be a very unromantic "no".
Am I missing something?

Um comentário:

Michael disse...

American Beauty is a cool movie, but painful to watch during certain scenes. It is funny at times, and moving. The film's characters are as varied and complex as life.