quarta-feira, abril 26, 2006

Time Machine


I got up from bed, fighting off the flu and all, to write this one.

A shiny, black rectangle, a few buttons, a cord, headphones, a few ingredients such as melody, harmony and rhythm... There is the recipe, my friend. You have in your hands a mighty time machine.

Oh, but there's no reason why it should be an iPod necessarily. It could be a "prehistoric" turntable or discman. Hell, it could be your puckered-up lips and air going through them!

Music is my time machine. I have, in a matter of a couple of hours and with the aid of my new iPod, revisited various moments in each year of high school, gone back to college, back to 1983, back to last week, back to way before my birth, back to the 18th century! And that´s just the tip of the iceberg.

But better than that, I've just relived sensations worthy of intense nostalgia, happiness, sadness - you name it, I'm feeling it (every four minutes, give or take a few).

Ingenuity, innocence, discovery, triumphs and losses, pride and shame, a kiss taken or given, union and separation, a mind clouded or crystal clear, paths treaded in kilometers and millimeters, thundering laughter or chest-crushing sorrow, childhood lost and manhood stumbled upon, extreme confidence or uncertainty....

In cars, planes, buses, trains, ships. In Rio de Janeiro, Connecticut, Spain, California, Buenos Aires, Manhattan, a canal in Venice or somewhere way above the Atlantic Ocean. In the shower, at the beach, walking down the street, at the gym, on the grass on a brisk New York spring day, smoking a cigarette, while having sex, in front of the computer - an interminable, mind-boggling list!

I've gone as far back and as down deep as my first love, I've retraced an entire evening from back when I had no idea that ignorance was bliss, I've managed to tap into the indescribable days after my father's death, I've touched upon moments on a stage, singing with good friends from high school and college, and... Now.

Music has always been with me, in mind, body and soul. It has been powerful enough and sufficiently delicate in helping me open my eyes to what is of the essence in life:

Who I am
Who I was
Where I've been
With whom I've been
What I've accomplished
And maybe even where I'm going.

2 comentários:

Renata Rollin disse...

Can you write in portuguese? Very good text!

Michael disse...

Nice post. You have a great ability to remember life experience through music.

Sometimes I won't listen to a certain song or artist for fear of reliving those emotions.

However, listening to Elvis sing 'Viva Las Vegas' syncipated with water fountains at the Bellagio last night was an enjoyable one...